Topic– changes in critical geographical features (including water bodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
2) Examine the impact of climate change on Himalayan rivers?(250 words)
Why this question
A recent report highlighting the threat to Himalayan glaciers and consequently to the Himalayan rivers needs to be discussed in greater detail. Hence this question.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the details of the report which highlights the impact of climate change on Himalayan rivers and examine the consequences. Finally, we need to discuss the way forward.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – explain that Himalayan glaciers feed Himalayan rivers which are under threat.
- Discuss the details of the report
- cording to the Hindu Kush Himalaya Assessment Report, more than a third of the Himalayan glaciers could melt away by 2100, even if carbon emissions are dramatically cut and global warming limited to 1.5 degrees Celsius. The situation would be even more erilous if governments fail to limit greenhouses gases as promised
- Explain the impact of it – HKH glaciers that the major rivers of South Asia and China have their origin. These sustain over 240 million people living in the HKH region’s mountains and hills and some 1.5 billion people living in river basins fed by waters from the HKH’s glaciers. Melting glaciers of the HKH region would therefore impact the lives and livelihoods of almost a fifth of the world’s population. Changes in river flows could not only cause more erosion and landslides in the mountains but also destroy dams and impact hydropower production. Etc
- discuss how to deal with this crisis
Conclusion – Emphasize on the seriousness of the threat and discuss way forward.