Topic – Security challenges and their management in border areas; linkages of organized crime with terrorism
4) Discuss the major drug trafficking patterns and trends in India. (250 words)
Why this question
India is placed in a precarious geographical position which makes it susceptible to drug trafficking. The problem of drug abuse has shown its ugly head in Punjab’s society, economy and polity. In this context it is important to analyze the drug trafficking process in India.
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail as to what are the patterns of drug trafficking in India and what are the recent trends in drug trafficking.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about India’s precarious geographical position. E.g mention about the Golden Crescent and Golden Triangle.
- Discuss the broader patterns and trends of drug trafficking activities in India. E.g
- Trafficking of Heroin from South West Asia to India and then from India to Sri Lanka, Maldives and other western countries.
- Trafficking of hashish and cannabis from Nepal to India.
- Suspected diversion of opium from licit cultivations and indigenous production of low quality Heroin.
- Illicit cultivation of opium poppy. • Wild growth of cannabis.
- Diversion of precursor chemicals and other controlled substances.
- Diversion of pharmaceutical preparations and prescription drugs containing psychotropic and controlled substances and their smuggling to neighbouring countries etc.
- Try to make a map showing the trends and patterns as shown in the document (link to the article).
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.