- Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
Pre-Departure Orientation Programme
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: Highlights, significance and the need for such programmes.
Context: Given the need to orient potential migrant workers with regard to language, culture, do’s and don’ts in the destination country, the emigration process and welfare measures, a Pre-Departure Orientation Training (PDOT) programme has been launched.
- The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) in collaboration with Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) is conducting the PDOT programme under the Pravasi Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PKVY).
- The National Skill Development Corporation is the implementing agency for this programme.
About Pravasi Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PKVY):
- The Pravasi Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PKVY) is aimed at skilling Indians seeking employment abroad.
- The programme is also aimed at boosting the confidence of the Indian youth so that they don’t feel like strangers when they land in a country of their choice for vocation.
- PKVY will train and certify Indians, who are keen on overseas employment in select sectors, in line with international standards.
- It will be implemented by the National Skill Development Corporation through its training partners and in consultation with the Ministry of External Affairs and the Skill Development Ministry.
- National Skill Development Corporation India (NSDC), established in 2009, is a not- for- profit company set up by the Ministry of Finance.
- NSDC aims to promote skill development by catalyzing creation of large, quality and for-profit vocational institutions.
- It provides funding to build scalable and profitable vocational training initiatives.
- Its mandate is also to enable support system which focuses on quality assurance, information systems and train the trainer academies either directly or through partnerships.
- It also develops appropriate models to enhance, support and coordinate private sector initiatives.