Topic – Challenges to internal security through social networking sites
6) Social media has emerged as a major threat to nation’s internal security. Discuss.(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss the nature of threat to internal security caused by social media. Thereafter, it expects us to discuss why it is difficult to negate this threat and highlight way forward.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain that threat due to social media is on the rise as seen in elections in Phillipines, USA etc
- Discuss the nature of threat due to social media
- The rapid spread of false information through social media is among the emerging risks identified by the World Economic Forum in its Global Risks 2013 Report.
- Cyber terrorism
- Recruitment drives
- Spreading fake news etc
- Discuss challenges in monitoring social media
- Server Location and Laws of Different Countries: Lack of Geographical Boundaries makes social media regulation an arduous task. Major Complicating Factors to secure the networks and Media Much of the hardware and software that make up the communications ecosystem is sourced externally.
- Encrypted Message: Use of phones/whatsapp to send and receive messages, concerns the government because the communications sent via such devices and applications are encrypted and could not be monitored and consequently hinders the country’s efforts to fight terrorism and crime.
- Complicated Networks: The task of securing the networks is also complicated by the fact that much of the infrastructure is in the hands of private companies who see measures such as security auditing and other regulations and frameworks as adding to their costs. source of Origin is difficult to find out.
- Highlight the steps India has taken so far – discuss measures such as – National Intelligence Grid (NATGRID), Central Monitoring System (CMS), Internet Spy System Network and Traffic Analysis System (NETRA) of India, National Critical Information Infrastructure Protection Centre (NCIPC) of India, National Cyber Coordination Centre (NCCC) of India, Tri Service Cyber Command for Armed Forces of India
Conclusion – Give your view and discuss way forward