Topic– Indian economy and issues related to employment.
5) The Indian economy is floundering on many economic parameters related to employment. Analyze.(250 words)
Why this question
The article highlights the broader questions highlighted by the recent NSSO report on jobless growth in Indian economy. The article provides several relevant data and ends with a poignant question which needs reflection to improve the state of our economy.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss the status quo of Indian economy with respect to employment and issues related to employment such as jobless growth, LFPR, labour productivity etc. The question expects us to flag off the major issues and suggest a way forward.
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight that the demographic dividend of the country makes the question of employment pertinent for our economy. In this backdrop, the recent NSSO report (as per media reports) paint a sorry picture of employment scenario in the country.
- Discuss the issue of jobless growth in general country . Use data to buttress your argument.
- Discuss the fall in LFPR and examine the causes. Focus on the fall in female LFPR.
- Discuss the issue of labour productivity and highlight what it suggests about the Indian economy
- Discuss the status of job creation in the economy in formal vs informal sector
Conclusion – give your opinion on the state of employment in Indian economy based on discussion and suggest way forward.