Topic:Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation
1) Analyze the schemes announced in the union Budget 2019-20 for improving the status of agricultural sector?(250 words)
Why this question
The budget is very important for mains and prelims, which goes without saying. The highlights of the budget with respect to different sectors of the economy needs to be prepared. In this question, we focus on the measures taken in the budget for agricultural sector and the likely impact it would have.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss the measures taken in the budget for addressing the issues faced by farming sector. Thereafter we need to evaluate the measures by discussing it’s likely impact. Finally we have to provide a fair and balanced opinion.
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight that the farming sector has been plagued by issues and the union Budget has taken steps to address it.
- Highlight that India’s agriculture sector accounts for close to 16% of the economy and employs almost 50% of the labour force.
- Discuss the measures in the Budget
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi, an assured income support programme, for 120 million small and marginalized farmers with an outlay of ₹75,000 crore per year.
- Increased the allocation for Rashtriya Gokul Mission to Rs 750 crore in the current year itself. Announced setting up of “Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog” to upscale sustainable genetic up-gradation of cow resources and to enhance production and productivity of cows
- Proposed to provide the benefit of 2% interest subvention to the farmers pursuing the activities of animal husbandry and fisheries, who avail loan through Kisan Credit Card. Further, in case of timely repayment of loan, they will also get an additional 3% interest subvention
- Discuss the likely impact of these measures.
Conclusion – give a fair and balanced opinion of the measures introduced and discuss how can we maximize benefit.