- Transparency related issues.
- Government Budgeting.
Best Practices in Budget survey
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: Highlights and significance of the survey and scope for development and reforms.
Context: The Transparency International conducted a survey to analyse the best practices followed by the states in the Budget Formulation.
The survey was based on 4 parameters which include public disclosure, budgetary process, post-budget fiscal management and efforts to make the budget more transparent and citizen-friendly.
Highlights of the Survey:
- The top slot in the survey was occupied by Assam. Assam was followed by Andhra Pradesh and Odisha.
- Meghalaya, Manipur and Punjab figured in the bottom list.
- Assam is the only state out of the 29 states and 2 UTs, which has published a Citizens Budget in the public domain. Also, the government of Assam is the only government that has conducted budget awareness campaigns across 17 districts.
- An international non-governmental organization based in Berlin, Germany.
- Founded in 1993 by a group of individuals who decided to take up a stance against corruption.
- The Corruption Perception Index is the most widely used indicator of corruption worldwide.
Sources: the hindu.