Topic- Indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
6) India is uniquely positioned to create a vibrant defence manufacturing ecosystem that can help us achieve self-reliance. Discuss.(250 words)
Why this question
India is the world’s largest arms importer and given our economic size and talent pool, this is a matter of grave concern for us. In this context it is important to discuss how India can achieve indigenisation of defence technology.
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail as to how India can achieve indigenisation of defence technology- what are its strengths and potential vis a vis this aim.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the Indian defence imports. E.g mention that India is the world’s largest defence importer etc.
Discuss in points as to how India could achieve indigenisation of defence technology vis a vis its potential and strengths. E.g
- a) India harbours an immense amount of potential that can be tapped into by way of key strategic partnerships that add value across the entire length and breadth of R&D, manufacturing and supply chain.
- b) As per government estimates, a reduction in 20-25 percent in defence related imports could directly create an additional 100,000 to 120,000 highly skilled jobs in India.
- c) Government’s offset policies, procurement policies and regulatory incentives spurring the growth of a domestic defence industry, the SMEs need to play a more active role in developing a robust supply chain.
- d) Lack of adequate infrastructure drives India’s logistics costs upwards thus reducing the country’s cost competitiveness and efficiency. While the government is investing in this area the pace of development needs to pick up considerably and public-private participation can go a long way in hastening this process.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.