Topic- Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life.
6) India’s superbug issue is a global public health problem. Discuss the factors responsible for the problem.(250 words)
Why this question
Recently superbugs have been detected in the Arctic and this points towards the alarming situation the world is in today. In this context it is important to discuss the issue vis a vis India.
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to describe the superbugs, their importance and why India is a hotbed for superbugs.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the superbugs. E.g Superbugs — the term unofficially refers to bacterial and fungal infections resistant to various antibiotics.
DIscuss the factors responsible for India being a hotbed of superbugs. E.g
- Superbugs exist across the globe; it’s a problem rearing its ugly head in China, South Africa, Australia and even in U.S.
- What makes India’s situation unlike other developing nations, is the “extent and degree” of the factors that fuel superbugs.
- antibiotic use is a major driver” of the development of diseases that become resistant to the drugs. Indeed, in 2010 India consumed more antibiotics for human health per person than any other country. What’s more, the nation’s intake spiked by 62 percent from 2001 to 2010.
- Such consumption is spurred by overprescription and overuse.
- In 2014, the government re-categorized many antibiotics, to make them prescription-only. But implementation of the regulation remains murky.
- Wastewater treatment plants serving antibiotic manufacturing facilities are responsible for transferring resistance genes.
- There is also a “huge amount” of antibiotic use in animals in India.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.