Topic – Inclusive growth and issues arising from it.
7) Discuss the factors responsible for economic disparities between various regions of India.(250 words)
Why this question
Regional inequality has been an important issue for independent India and it is still relevant given that progress on this front has not been at the desired level. In this context it is essential to discuss the factors responsible for creating and sustaining regional disparities in India.
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the factors- historical, social, geographical, political- responsible for the economic disparities between various parts/ regions of India.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the economic disparity between various regions of India. E.g inter-State disparities have widened in recent years even as the larger economy grows in size. Many low-income States have experienced isolated years of strong economic growth above the national average. But they have still failed to bridge their widening gap with the richer States since they have simply not been able to maintain a healthy growth rate over a sustained period of time.
Discuss in points as to what factors are responsible for this disparity. E.g
- Historically, regional imbalances in India started from its British regime. The British rulers as well as industrialists started to develop only those earmarked regions of the country which as per their own interests.
- Geographical factors play an important role in the developmental activities of a developing economy. The difficult terrain surrounded by hills, rivers and dense forests leads to increase in the cost of administration, cost of developmental projects, besides making mobilisation of resources particularly difficult.
- Locational advantages are playing an important role in determining the development strategy of a region. Due to some locational advantages, some regions are getting special favour in respect of site selections of various developmental projects.
- Economic overheads like transport and communication facilities, power, technology, banking and insurance etc. are considered very important for the development of a particular region.
- Failure of Planning etc.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.