Topic– Indian Diaspora
2) Having one of the largest diaspora in the world presents itself with its own opportunities and challenges. Discuss.(250 words)
Why this question
India has one of the largest diaspora in the world and it receives one of the largest amounts of remittances. Besides, the growing role of Indians as well as India across the world makes it essential for us to discuss the opportunities as well as challenges posed by Indian diaspora.
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the opportunity presented by Indian diaspora for India as well as the challenges posed by it.
Structure of the answer-
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the Indian diaspora. E.g mention the number of Indian diaspora and countries where most of them are concentrated etc.
- DIscuss what opportunities does Indian diaspora bring for India. E.g
- Huge corpus of remittances which further aid in socio-economic development and poverty reduction.
- Spending on healthcare has an important labour market implication as it increases labour productivity.
- Trans-national entrepreneurship and diffusion of technology, experience and exposure.
- DIaspora diplomacy etc.
- Discuss what are the challenges involved therein. E.g
- support of the diaspora is neither automatic nor continuous, and their interests need not be India’s priorities. For example, the Indian community in the US was not vocal enough in criticising President Donald Trump’s proposal to restrict the H-1B visa programme that has benefited many Indians.
- Another challenge is that remittances may not always be used for beneficial purposes. For instance, India faced problems due to foreign funding for extremist 29 movements like the Khalistan movement.
- Moreover, the diaspora is unfair in expecting India to stand by them at all times of need etc.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.