Topic: India and its neighbourhood- relations
5) Discuss the importance of Maldives in Indian foreign policy? Examine the impact of recent election outcome in Maldives on its relationship with India? (250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to first bring out the reason why Maldives is so crucial for India particularly with respect to India’s role and position in Indian Ocean. Thereafter, we need to bring out the recent election outcome and what it means for India. Finally, we need to provide a way forward.
Discuss – Here your discussion should remain focussed on explaining the importance of Maldives for India.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain that voters in the Maldives delivered a stunning defeat for President Abdulla Yameen in a contentious presidential election, an outcome regarded as a victory for democracy over authoritarianism in the Indian Ocean island nation.
- Explain the importance of Maldives for India
- India sees itself as a net security provider in Indian Ocean for which Maldives is an important partner
- A member of SAARC
- Large number of Indian nationals living in Maldives
- Competition between India and China over Maldives etc
- Discuss how relation between India and Maldives had deteriorated under President yameen. Talk about the tilt towards China, thwarting of democracy etc
- Discuss the impact of the election results on india’s relationship with Maldives
Conclusion – Give your view and discuss the way forward.