- Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life Achievements of Indians in science & technology.
What to study?
- For Prelims: UNISPACE + 50, UNNATI- key features of the programme.
- For Mains: Significance of UNNATI and Nano- satellites.
Context: National space agency, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has launched the UNNATI (UNispace Nano-satellite Assembly and Training by ISRO) programme at the U R Rao Satellite Centre, Bengaluru. UNNATI is a capacity building programme on nanosatellite development.
The UNNATI Programme is to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the first United Nations Conference on the Exploration and Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (UNISPACE+50).
UNNATI programme is planned to be conducted by U R Rao Satellite Centre (URSC) of ISRO for 3 years in 3 batches and will target to benefit 90 officials from 45 countries.
The primary objectives of the programme are:
- To offer a simplified and increased exposure to satellite fabrication technologies, as part of the UNISPACE initiative.
- To provide theoretical course on satellite technology.
- To provide hands-on training to assemble, integrate and test a low cost, modular nano satellite.