Topic– Human Values.
8) What do you understand by intrinsic and extrinsic values. Discuss.(250 words)
Lexicon Ethics; Ethics and Human Interface
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the meaning and scope of internal values as well as external values.
Structure of the answer
Introduction- Write a few introductory lines about the meaning and scope of values. E.g Values are the individual principles or qualities that guide judgement and behaviour of a person or a group. Values can be viewed from the standpoint of their importance. All values are experiences of different degrees of importance in the development of individuality.
- Discuss about the intrinsic values. E.g
- An intrinsic value is one which has worth in its own right.
- It is an End- in-itself.
- Truth, Beauty, Goodness, Temperance, Courage, etc. are considered as intrinsic values.
- They are good not because of their consequences but because they are good in themselves etc.
- DIscuss about the extrinsic values. E.g
- An Extrinsic value is one which is a means to some other value.
- It is of instrumental worth only.
- Extrinsic or Instrumental values are the part of larger whole. They are means to an End.
- Wealth,Fame, physical fitness, etc. borrow their worth from something extraneous to them etc.
Also mention that the terms Extrinsic and Intrinsic are used relatively. They are not always mutually exclusive or fixed. What is valued by one person for its own sake may be valued by another person as a means to an end.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.