Topic: India and its neighbourhood- relations
4) India has often been accused of playing the role of a big brother in its neighbourhood. Evaluate whether this is true. (250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to first bring out the criticism often resorted to by India’s neighbours such as Nepal, Sri Lanka etc of India acting as a big brother. Discuss the reasons why such a view is held by these countries and thereafter delve deep into India’s actions with respect to its neighbours to evaluate whether these claims are actually true.
Evaluate – When you are asked to evaluate, you have to pass a sound judgement about the truth of the given statement in the question or the topic based on evidences. You have to appraise the worth of the statement in question. There is scope for forming a personal opinion here.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight that India’s neighbours have often called out India for its big brotherly attitude.
- Discuss the reasons why such a charge is levelled against India – you can point out the recent standoff in Nepal wrt Madhesi agitation, charges that India interferes in the domestic policies of the country, the disproportionate size and power of India in comparison to her neighbours
- Highlight what India’s policies with respect to her neighbours has been – you can talk about the gujral doctrine and how that doctrine governs India’s foreign policy in her neighbourhood.
- Bring out the instances which counter the claim that India acts as a big brother
- Talk about the indus water treaty with Pakistan
- Sharing of water with bangladesh
- treaty of peace and friendship with Nepal and Bhutan etc
- Discuss what India needs to do to see correct these perceptions
Conclusion – Give your view and discuss the way forward.