Topic– India and its neighbourhood- relations
3) Examine why has SAARC failed to perform its role as an integrator and address areas of common interests?(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain status quo with respect to SAARC, analyze the reasons for its abject failure , the impact of poor performance of SAARC in achieving regional aspirations. Discuss alternatives to SAARC which India can leverage for boosting regional integration and development.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain about SAARC and the status quo of SAARC.
- Discuss the reasons why issues cropped up in SAARC.
- Asymmetry in the members
- India Pakistan tension
- Individual identities of nation are still strong and they are not willing to subsume that in collective identities
- Failure of SAFTA etc
- Discuss the common interests that could have been attained through a regional organization like SAARC.
- Highlight that India is looking at other options to regional integration apart from SAARC such a BIMSTEC etc to achieve such regional aspirations.
Conclusion – Give your view and discuss way forward.