Topic – Important Geophysical phenomena such as earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclone etc
3) “The Himalayas are highly prone to landslides.” Discuss the causes and suggest suitable measures of mitigation.(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain the reasons why himalayas are prone to landslides. Thereafter, we need to bring out the impact of such landslides and how such impacts can be mitigated.
Discuss – Here your discussion should focus around answering the key demand of the question.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain that The Himalayas are highly prone to landslides, leading to heavy loss of both life & property. Explain what landslides are – Landslides are mass movement of soil or rocks along the slopes of mountains
- Explain the causes of such landslides
- Natural causes such as earthquakes, rainfall, slope
- Man made causes such as deforestation, jhum cultivation, illegal mining and industrial activities etc
- Discuss the impact of such landslides
- Highlight how such situation can be improved
- Tree plantation
- Building catchment areas to capture extra rainfall water
- Stopping Jhum cultivation.
- Teaching people about landslides & ways to mitigate.
- Constructing a permanent assessment team comprising scientists & geologists that would look into the matter
Conclusion – Comment on the general environmental degradation taking place in Himalayas and discuss way forward.