- Women related issues.
- Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes.
- Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability, e-governance- applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential.
Womaniya on GeM
What to study?
- For Prelims: About Womaniya, GeM- key facts related.
- For Mains: Significance of the initiative and GeM, need for such initiatives, how it helps in economic empowerment of women?
What is it? It is an initiative launched by the Government eMarketplace (GeM) to enable women entrepreneurs and self-help groups to sell different products at the platform.
Key features of the initiative:
- The initiative – Womaniya on GeM – seeks to develop women entrepreneurship on the margins of society to achieve gender-inclusive economic growth.
- The initiative would enable women entrepreneurs and women self-help groups to sell handicrafts and handloom, jute and coir products, home décor and office furnishings, directly to various government ministries, departments and institutions.
Significance and the need for such initiatives:
Nearly 80% women-owned establishments in India are self-financed and more than 60 percent of 8 million units are owned and led by women entrepreneurs from socially-challenged sections.
- Since women tend to invest up to 90% of their earnings back in their families to provide better nutrition, health care and education to their children, their economic empowerment is essential for poverty alleviation which would be made possible through Womaniya initiative.
- Womaniya on GeM will address goals and objectives under United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
It is an online marketplace to facilitate procurement of goods and services by various Ministries and agencies of the Government.
- The platform offers online, end to end solution for procurement of commonly used goods and services for all central government departments and state governments, public sector units and affiliated bodies.
- It aims to enhance transparency, efficiency and speed in public procurement of goods and services and eliminate corruption.
- Government e Marketplace is a 100% government owned company setup under the aegis of Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry for procurement of common use goods and services by Government ministries, departments and CPSEs.