Topic– Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
4) There is a need for National Clean Air Programme to create room for tighter action and better fiscal strategy . Examine.(250 words)
Why this question
The NCAP is a much needed policy document that has been recently released by the central government. In this context it is important to understand the programme and discuss its shortcomings.
Examine- here we have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to dig deep into the recently released NCAP and bring out the reasons as to why the programme needs to create room for stronger action.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the NCAP. E.g It proposes a framework to achieve a national-level target of 20-30 per cent reduction of PM2.5 and PM10 concentration by between 2017 and 2024.
- Discuss some of the important and salient provisions of the programme. E.g
- It is expected to be the only “cooperative and participatory initiative”.
- This will not be notified under the Environment Protection Act or any other Act to create a firm mandate with a strong legal back up for cities and regions to implement NCAP in a time bound manner for effective reduction.
- Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) will execute this nation-wide programme in consonance with the section 162 (b) of the Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1986 etc.
- Discuss why the programme needs to create room for stronger action and better fiscal strategy. E.g
- It has not taken on board the ‘polluter pay’ based taxation mechanism to mobilise resources for dedicated funding of pollution control action and also to discourage polluting products, processes and activities.
- Already, following the NGT order, 102 cities have started to prepare their first baseline action plans based on whatever data and expertise they have access to within a short time frame.
- This will have to be taken forward under the NCAP and what will matter most are the right governing principles, and detailed qualitative and quantitative indicators for strategy development and targeted reduction in each sector at local and regional scale.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.