Topic– Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times
1) Discuss the contributions made by scholars of ancient India in the field of medicine and mathematics?(250 words)
Why this question
Off late, there has been much debate over the developments in science and technology in ancient India. This question expects you to discuss the advancement made by Indians in the field of aforementioned fields.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss the contributions of scholars of ancient India in the aforementioned fields.
Discuss – Here in your discussion, you need to discuss the contributions of the scholars in the fields mentioned above.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight that off late there has been much discussion about the contribution made by ancient India to the field of science and technology.
- Discuss the contribution in the field of medicine
- Diseases cures and medicines were first mentioned in Atharva veda
- Takshila emerged as the centre of medicine and learning
- Discuss texts such as charaksamhita and sushrutsamhita etc
- Discuss contribution in the field of mathematics
- Mention that apastamba in 2nd century BC introduced practical geometry involving acute angle etc
- Discuss contribution such as decimal system, notation system etc
- Discuss the role of books such as Surya Siddhanta etc
Conclusion – Highlight the significance of these contributions in modern times and what it says about the culture of science in the country.