Topic– Right to Information.
8) Participation of people is sine qua non of any democratic form of government in achieving the ideal of good governance and RTI is a measure step towards this goal. Comment.(250 words)
Comment- here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to express our knowledge and understanding about the relationship between RTI and good governance, and express our opinion as to how RTI promotes citizen participation and good governance.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the RTI. E.g There is very close link between right to information and good governance. Right to Information is the tool of achieving the goals of good governance.
Discuss how RTI promotes citizen participation and good governance. E.g
- People who have access to information and who understand how to make use of the acquired information in the processes of exercising their political, economic and legal rights become empowered, which, in turn, enable them to build their strengths and assets, so as to improve the quality of life. And ultimately this is only the aim of good governance.
- An informed citizen is better equipped to keep necessary vigil on the instruments of governance and make the government more accountable to the governed.
- One of the brilliant features of RTI is that it makes public authorities answerable to the general public, which strengthen the participatory democracy. Every public authorities is required to provide reasons for its administrative and quasi judicial decisions to the affected persons.
- The transformation from mere governance to good governance is possible only if the citizens of the country have right and access to information of and participation in the governance. The good governance is the governance in which people are served by their representatives not ruled by their representatives etc.
Conclusion- based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.