Topic: Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation.
5) India has made a lot of progress in reducing plastic waste but a lot more still needs to be done. Comment.(250 words)
Why this question
India has resolved to end single-use plastics by 2022 and in this connection it has also released the Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016. In this context it is important to discuss what has been achieved and what more needs to be done.
Comment- here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to express our knowledge and understanding of India’s fight against plastic use and express our opinion as to why still more needs to be done in this regard.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines highlighting India’s efforts to reduce plastic waste. E.g India has resolved to beat plastic pollution by eliminating single-use plastics by 2022.
Discuss what India has achieved in this direction. E.g
- 22 States and Union Territories have announced a ban on single-use plastics such as carry bags, cups, plates, cutlery, straws and thermocol products. Puducherry will implement a ban from March 1.
- Voluntary initiatives are having an impact in many States, as citizens reduce, reuse and sort their waste.
- The Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016 are clear that producers, importers and brand owners must adopt a collect-back system for the plastic they introduce into the environment etc.
- Discuss what more needs to be done. E.g
- Waste plastic from packaging of everything from food, cosmetics and groceries to goods delivered by online platforms remains unaddressed.
- Local bodies should consult manufacturers or importers to assess the problem. Delaying such a measure has created the anomalous situation of small producers of plastics facing the ban, while more organised entities covered by the Extended Producer Responsibility clause continue with business as usual.
- Cities and towns need competent municipal systems to achieve this.
- The fast moving consumer goods sector that uses large volumes of packaging, posing a higher order challenge.
Conclusion- based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue