Topic– Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
4) Discuss the provisions of right to disconnect Bill and analyze its need?(250 words)
Why this question
This private member Bill has been introduced with a purpose of making work life balance easier. The provisions of the Bill along with with other issues in the Bill needs to be discussed.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the key provisions of the bill, discuss the provisions of the Bill and examine the reasons why the Bill is needed and issues involved therein.
Discuss – Here your discussion should bring out the key provisions of the Bill.
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention that the Bill is a private member Bill aiming to improve the work life balance.
- Discuss the provisions of the Bill
- Aim: The Right to Disconnect Bill aims at “reducing stress and ease tension between an employee’s personal and professional life.”
- The Bill gives employees the right to not respond to calls or any kind of communications from the employers after office hours.
- Bill requires the setting up of an Employee Welfare Authority, which will publish reports related to the impact employees have from prolonged use of digital tools beyond office hours etc
- Highlight the need and significance of the bill
- Work life imbalance leads to stress, anxiety and many mental health issues etc
- traditional service sector has to often deal with unreasonable work hours, working overtime without extra compensation, or carrying their work home.
- Right to Disconnect Bill 2018, if passed, will help people strike work-life balance and lead a better life.
- Give example of other countries who have already adopted such laws
Conclusion – give your view on the utility of the Bill and discuss way forward.