Topic- changes in critical geographical features (including water-bodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
2) Coastal districts of India must continue to take measures to make them more resilient against extreme weather events. Discuss. (250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain that coastal areas have become more susceptible to extreme weather events and thus there is a greater need to make them more resilient and discuss the ways in which this can be done.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain the report of IPCC etc which has warned about the increased frequency and intensity of such extreme weather events.
- Explain about the various extreme weather events such as tsunamis, cyclones etc which impact the coastal regions and the kind of devastation it causes with examples of cyclone gaja etc
- Explain the measures taken by the government to make coastal regions more resilient
- Discuss what more needs to be down
- Coastal States must, therefore, focus on reducing the hazard through policies that expand resilient housing, build better storm shelters and create financial mechanisms for insurance and compensation.
Conclusion – Give your view and discuss way forward.