Topic- Distribution of key natural resources across the world (including South Asia and the Indian subcontinent)
2) What are the major regions in India that produce oilseeds? Examine the reasons for India’s dependence on imports of oilseeds and what measures should be taken in this regard?(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to first shed light on the oilseed production of India and thereafter examine whether India is depended on imports of oilseeds and the reasons for it. We need to provide suggestions on how to improve the situation wrt imports.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Discuss the kind of region required for production of oilseeds and the major oilseed produced in India.
- Explain that At present, India’s largest oilseed producing state is Gujarat, thanks to its position as top groundnut producing state of India. Rajasthan is India’s top Rapeseed & Mustard producing state, followed by Madhya Pradesh and Haryana. Almost half (48.12%) of Rapeseed and Mustard is produced by only Rajasthan. India’s top Soyabean producing state is Madhya Pradesh with a share of 44% in India’s total production of this protein rich crop. Among other oil crops, Karnataka is largest producer of Sunflower.
- Highlight that huge demand-supply gap exists and India is number one edible oil importer of the world. The 60-65% import dependency worsens during the unfavorable monsoon years
- Discuss the region for dependence on imports – domestic demand for vegetable oils and fats has been rising rapidly at the rate of 6% per year but domestic output has been increasing at just about 2 per cent per annum. In India, the average yields of most oilseeds are extremely low as compared to those other countries of the world. The cultivation of oilseeds in India is in high risk regions where there are uncertain returns on the investments.
- Suggest way forward
- Bringing additional oilseed areas under irrigation
Promotion of modern crop technology and better dry farming etc
Conclusion – Give your view and discuss way forward.