Topic- Salient features of world’s geography.
4) Discuss the recent trends in international migration movement. Also discuss how international migration can be made more safe, orderly and regulated.(250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the current scenario of international migration and the prominent trends that can be witnessed in it. It also wants us to write in detail as to how it can be ensured that international migration is safe, orderly and regulated.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the history of International migration. E.g mention the migration of Home Erectus out of Africa etc.
- Discuss the recent trends in International Migration and the factors influencing it. E.g
- 258 million INTERNATIONAL MIGRANTS were counted globally in 2017 – people residing in a country other than their country of birth. This represented 3.4% of the world’s total population.
- Highest category of Migrants- Labour followed by Displaced persons followed by students and then by Migrant Smuggling.
- Women migrants- around 48%
- Two-thirds immigrate to Europe or Asia
- In 2012, ILO estimated that 19 per cent of labour exploitation and 74 percent of sexual exploitation involves cross-border movement.
- In recent years, the number of children migrating unaccompanied has increased. In 2015–2016, there were five times as many children estimated to be migrating alone than in 2010–2011 (UNICEF, 2017b) etc.
- Discuss how international migration can be made more safe, orderly and regulated. E.g
- Collect and utilize accurate and disaggregated data as a basis for evidence based policies.
- Minimize the adverse drivers and structural factors that compel people to leave their country of origin
- Ensure that all migrants have proof of legal identity and adequate documentation
- Enhance availability and flexibility of pathways for regular migration etc.
Conclusion- based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue