Topic -Accountability and ethical governance;
6) What do you understand by the concept of accountability and why is accountability important for good governance. Discuss.(250 words)
Structure of the answer
Introduction– Write a few introductory lines about the increased stress placed on accountability of organizations, leaders, politicians, civil servants etc.
- DIscuss the concept of accountability in detail. E.g Bring out the meaning of accountability and mention that Accountability consists of three vital components
Mention that accountability involves both a horizontal and a vertical dimensions. The horizontal dimension is the system of checks and balances among the executive, the legislative and the judicial branches. Vertical accountability entails the relationships between citizens and decision makers, including the ability of citizens to influence political decision-making processes.
- Discuss the importance of accountability in good governance. E.g
- Accountability ensures rule of law and respect for institutions
- It ensures commitment to promises, manifestos and citizen’s charters.
- It empowers citizens and aids their development.
- It reduces corruption and builds trust among the governors and the governed.
Conclusion- based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.