Topic– strengthening of ethical and moral values in governance
8) What are the methods by which public service values can be instilled in public servants. Discuss.(250 words)
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about instilling values among public servants. E.g Short-term outward facing measures, such as the development and publicising of values statements in offices are an important first step, but are limited in terms of their impact. Moving beyond this level towards behavioural (or external) and eventually attitudinal (or internal) change amongst employees in an organisation requires training and the reinforcement of value sets through multiple interactions and activities.
DIscuss the method and means by which public service values can be instilled among public servants. E.g
- Reinforcement and transmission of common cultural values needs to be planned and systematic. Without attention being given to inculcating core values and standards, other more localised values can come to the fore.
- Recognise and assert the importance of ethics to good government
- Integrate the management of ethics into the wider system
- Exercise leadership from the centre and demand similar leadership in departments · promote through a combination of standards, guidance, education and recognition of good practice
- Allow information to flow to inform and guide devolved decision making
- Continue to test theory and rules against experience and remain responsive to challenges in the political and policy environment.
- Strengthening the existing strength of the values culture within the organisation
- Identification of high-risk ‘zones’ which require strong control and monitoring activity etc.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.