Topic– Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
3) In its present form the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2018 is very problematic and does little towards gender justice. Analyze.(250 words)
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2018. E.g mention that the bill has been passed by the LS and is currently in RS; briefly mention the aims of the bill.
Discuss the problems associated with the provisions of the bill and how it does little towards the stated aim of ensuring gender justice. E.g
- Since marriage is a civil contract, violation of this contract demands civil action, but the bill makes it a cognisable non-bailable offence.
- As the majority judgment has set aside the practice of triple talaq and pronounced it to be unconstitutional and/or un-Islamic, the bill serves no purpose of further criminalising the practice of triple talaq.
- The bill, which prescribes up to three years’ imprisonment, is silent on the provision of sustenance for the affected woman and her family.
- The bill under discussion criminalises triple talaq by a Muslim man, but there is no corresponding penal provision for a non-Muslim man abandoning his wife. This goes against the universal principle of equality before law and is, hence, unfair towards non-Muslim women etc.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue. E.g need for a proper debate and involvement of all stakeholders in the process.