Topic – Post independence history
2) Bangladesh’s birth owes to Pakistani policy flaws much more than India’s intervention. Critically comment.(250 words)
Why this question
The article discusses the reasons that led to the independence of Bangladesh and explains that the birth of Bangladesh was inevitable considering the policies followed by Pakistan, and provides an interesting insight in the mistakes committed and reasons for the birth of Bangladesh.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out reason behind birth of Bangladesh and give our view on what was the more pertinent reason – India’s intervention or policies followed by Pakistan.
Critically comment – When you are asked to comment, you have to pick main points and give your ‘opinion’ on them based on evidences or arguments stemming from your wide reading. Critically comment is also forming opinion on main points but in the end you have to provide a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – highlight the situation in which Bangladesh was born.
- Discuss the reasons for creation of Bangladesh. Here you first need to touch upon the role played by India in liberation of Bangladesh.
- Indian government allowed Awami league leaders to form government in exile
- Gave military training to Mukti Vahini Sena on Indian soil
- provided food, shelter, clothing and medical aid to refugees in spite of tremendous strain on their resources
- in December 1971 Indian armed forces directly undertook the operation for liberation of Bangladesh which led to Indo-Pakistan war of 1971.
- Point out that the seeds of partition was sowed as a result of the policies followed over the years by Pakistan
- Highlight the issues caused by policy with respect to language
- Persecution of people in Bangladesh etc
Conclusion – Give your view on what played more critical role in liberation of Bangladesh.