- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
- Development processes and the development industry the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
- Infrastructure- energy.
Street Light National Programme (SLNP)
What to study?
- For Prelims: Key features and targets of the programme.
- For Mains: Significance of the programme, challenges ahead and ways to address them.
Context: The Centre is likely to miss the goals it had set under the Street Lighting National Programme (SLNP) when it was launched on January 5, 2015.
Energy Efficiency Services Limited has installed over 76.77 lakh LED street lights in 28 States or Union Territories till January 3, 2019.
About Street Light National Programme (SLNP):
Under the SLNP, the Government aims to replace 3.5 crore conventional street lights with energy efficient LED lights.
The target under SLNP is to replace 1.34 crore conventional street lights with energy efficient LED street lights by March 2019.
- The project has been implemented across 28 states and union territories. Energy Efficiency Services Limited, a Public Energy Services Company under the administration of Ministry of Power, Government of India (GoI) is the implementing agency for SLNP.
- EESL also undertakes social audits in all states post the completion of the project.
- Mitigate climate change by implementing energy efficient LED based street lighting.
- Reduce energy consumption in lighting which helps DISCOMs to manage peak demand.
- Provide a sustainable service model that obviates the need for upfront capital investment as well as additional revenue expenditure to pay for procurement of LED lights.
- Enhance municipal services at no upfront capital cost of municipalities.
The installation of LED-based street lighting system is essential, since LED lighting offer higher efficiency, better illumination and life expectancy apart from being environmentally sustainable.
What you need to know about EESL?
Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) is a joint venture of NTPC Limited, Power Finance Corporation, Rural Electrification Corporation and POWERGRID. It was set up under Ministry of Power (India) to facilitate implementation of energy efficiency projects.
Sources: the hindu.