- Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
Indian Science Congress
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: Indian science congress- theme, features and significance of such platforms.
Context: 106th ‘Indian Science Congress (ISC)’ session is being held at Jalandhar, Punjab.
Theme – Future India: Science and Technology.
Indian Science Congress is organised by the Indian Science Congress Association every year in the first week of January.
About Indian Science Congress Association:
The Indian Science Congress Association was started in the year 1914 in Kolkata and has a membership of more than 30,000 scientists.
Origin: It owes its origin to the foresight and initiative of two British chemists, namely, Professor J. L. Simonsen and Professor P. S. MacMahon. It occurred to them that scientific research in India might be stimulated if an annual meeting of research workers somewhat on the lines of the British Association for the Advancement of Science could be arranged.
- To advance and promote the cause of science in India.
- To hold an annual congress at a suitable place in India.
- To publish such proceedings, journals, transactions and other publications as may be considered desirable.
- To secure and manage funds and endowments for the promotion of Science including the rights of disposing of or selling all or any portion of the properties of the Association.
- To do and perform any or all other acts, matters and things as are conductive to, or incidental to, or necessary for, the above objects.
Sources: the hindu.
Mains Question: Write a brief note on the origin and contribution of the Indian Science Congress to development of science in India. Also critically comment on its effectiveness today as platform for science popularisation and an exercise in public engagement of science.