Topic– India and its neighbourhood.
7) The new electricity guidelines released by Ministry of power are a first step towards creating a true regional market in South Asia. Analyze.(250 words)
Why this question
Regional integration in South Asia has never taken off. Bhutan in the past had rued issues with pricing of electricity. The new guidelines would do well to alleviate such issues and also lead to greater connectivity at least for BBIN nations.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain the recent electricity guidelines of the ministry and explain how it would boost the regional market in South Asia and discuss the benefits that it would pass on to India in terms of economic benefits and better relations with neighborhood.
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Discuss about the lack of integration in South Asia.
- Explain the recent guidelines by the ministry
- Discuss the benefits that will be accrued as a result of these guidelines
- Bhutan and Nepal were coaxing India to relax the non tariff barriers and these guidelines would lead to better relations
- Highlight that a vision to ensure connectivity in electricity sector of South Asia was dreamt with SAARC Framework Agreement for Energy Cooperation , however the issues with SAARC came in the way
- Discuss how it would be economically beneficial for India and also from the point of view of electricity security
Conclusion – Give your view on why these guidelines would help in building greater connectivity in the region and discuss way forward.