Topic– Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the
performance of these schemes.
6) Ujjwala scheme is a novel initiative which needs to iron out its implementation issues. Discuss(250 words)
Why this question
The article does a critical analysis of the achievements and limitations of Ujjwala scheme and will enable you to develop your perspective on the achievements made under the scheme.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain the Ujjwala initiative, highlight the achievements of the scheme, bring out the critical implementation gaps that serve as a hindrance. Finally, we need to give our view on the success of Ujjwala scheme and discuss way forward.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain about Ujjwala scheme.
- Discuss the achievements made under the scheme
- The program has gained traction and its ambit expanded to include 80 million poor families from the earlier target of 50 million families with an additional allocation of ₹4,800 crore.
- The clean fuel protects users from inhaling smoke and also helps the poor avoid going to unsafe areas to collect firewood.
- LPG coverage has touched 90%, with a significant increase in eastern states, with 48% of the beneficiaries being SC/STs
- Explain the concerns in implementation of the scheme
- There have been a lacklustre approach of people towards refilling of cylinders
- logistics of issuing the connections also have kinks that require ironing out.
- Aadhar seeding also faces issues caused by data discrepancies, especially where the spelling of names is concerned as a result of which applicants can find themselves unable to register for the scheme.
- Discuss how the government is dealing with such implementation challenges
Conclusion – Give your opinion on the success of the scheme and discuss way forward.