Topic– Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating
to Health, Education, Human Resources.
3) Pradhan Mantri Jan Aarogya Yojana has a number of challenges to contend with as it seeks to improve the status of healthcare in India. Discuss.(250 words)
Why this question
The article delves deep into the challenges that are likely to come before PMJAY as it tries to address the issue of out of pocket expenditure in healthcare. This question would help you understand the challenges that lay before this scheme and how to overcome them.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain about PMJAY and thereafter, bring out the likely challenges before the scheme. We need to explain these challenges in detail and bring out the ways through which we can address them. Finally, we need to provide a fair and balanced opinion regarding the possibility of PMJAY becoming a success and discuss the way forward.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain about PMJAY.
- Bring out the various challenges involved for the future of the scheme
- How the programme propose to level the playing field between the public and private hospitals, as public hospitals would continue receiving budgetary support
- Issues over how lower-middle class and middle-class households are brought under the fold in this programme etc
- Discuss about the ways through which these challenges can be addressed going forward.
Conclusion – Mention that it is important to make longer-term commitments and resolve programme uncertainties, especially with regard to the inclusion of the APL and discuss the way forward.