Topic – India and its bilateral relations.
1) India’s strategic interests are better served through a continuity in USA’s foreign policy. Evaluate.(250 words)
Why this question
The article discusses the impact of changes and continuity in US foreign policy on the strategic interests of India. The articles discusses the impact on a range of issues from peace in Afghanistan to crackdown on pakistan, all of which fall within core strategic interests of India. Hence this question would enable us to develop a perspective on India USA bilateral relations.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain what we understand by continuity in USA’s foreign policy. Thereafter, we need to bring out why continuity in USA’s foreign policy is important for India and its impact on India’s core strategic interests. Finally, we need to provide our view and discuss way forward.
Evaluate – When you are asked to evaluate, you have to pass a sound judgement about the truth of the given statement in the question or the topic based on evidences. You have to appraise the worth of the statement in question. There is scope for forming a personal opinion here.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain about the change in guard at the helm of USA’s foreign establishment and mention that it can have several bearings for India and her foreign policy.
- Explain what you understand by a continuity in USA’s foreign policy.
- Discuss the impact on India’s core strategic interests as a result of USA’s foreign policy
- Talk about the implications of USA’s withdrawal from Afghanistan and how it it would affect India’s strategic interests
- Discuss about how change or continuity in USA’s foreign policy wrt Pakistan can have a bearing on India’s core strategic interests
- Examine the impact of USA’s policy in Asia Pacific on India’s strategic interests in the region
- Discuss what should be India’s strategy to deal with such variables
Conclusion – Give a fair and balanced opinion on how important continuity in USA’s foreign policy is for India and discuss way forward.