Topic– Aptitude and foundational values for Civil Service , integrity, impartiality and non-partisanship, objectivity, dedication to public service, empathy, tolerance and compassion towards the weaker-sections.
7) “Integrity is choosing your thoughts and actions based on values rather than personal gain.”Comment with an example.(250 words)
Comment- here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to express our knowledge and understanding about integrity and form a substantiated opinion as to whether integrity is/ is not choosing your thoughts and actions based on values rather than personal gain. We have to illustrate our opinion and understanding by giving a suitable example.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– Give a simple definition of integrity by comparing it with honesty. E.g While honesty is being true to others, integrity is being true to oneself.
Discuss about integrity in detail and its relationship with values and personal gain. E.g
- Integrity means- Behaving in an honest, fair, and ethical manner. Showing consistency in words and actions. Modelling high standards of ethics.
- Integrity in its bare-bones essence means adherence to principles. It is a three-step process:
- choosing the right course of conduct; acting consistently with the choice—even when it is inconvenient or unprofitable to do so; openly declaring where one stands.
- Accordingly, integrity is equated with moral reflection, steadfastness to commitments, trustworthiness.
Give an example to illustrate your concept and understanding of integrity.