Topic – Disaster and disaster management
5) There is a need for an inclusive Disaster Risk Management (DRM). Discuss. Also discuss the factors A responsible for holding back inclusive DRM.(250 words)
Why this question
Disasters create havoc in the society and inflict damage which is beyond the coping capacity of a society. However, there are certain sections of the society which have to bear a higher burden of natural disasters. Therefore it is important to discuss the need for an inclusive DRM and obstacles faced therein.
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail as to why there is a need for an inclusive DRM and then also discuss in detail as to what are the factors which prevent an inclusive DRM.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the differentiated impact of a disaster on a community/ society. E.g certain groups, including but not limited to the poor, children and youth, persons with disabilities, older persons, and ethnic minorities, are disproportionately impacted by disasters. Similarly women, who constitute half of humanity are also disproportionately affected by disasters.
- Discuss the need for inclusive DRM in detail. E.g
- These groups have context specific and differentiated needs before, during and after a disaster, which are not taken into consideration when communities, cities and nations plan for disasters;
- The disproportionate impact of disasters on these groups is due to a range of factors including exclusion from decision-making processes, often poor living conditions, inadequate infrastructure, income inequality or undiversified sources of income, and limited access to basic services, especially education and information.
- For disaster risk management to be appropriate and effective for society at large, these differentiated needs must be taken into account and addressed, and the knowledge, talents and capacities of all stakeholders must be harnessed.
- Discuss the factors holding back inclusive DRM. e.g
- The knowledge and capacities of groups subject to more risk are not well acknowledged.
- Existing coordination mechanisms do not facilitate local level actors and information inputting into national decision making.
- A lack of readily available disaggregated data at the local level has limited how progress can be accounted for.
- Institutional incentives for engaging those groups subject to more risk do not exist for the most part.
- Where good practices are underway, marginalized groups do not have access to resources to take these to scale.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.