- Separation of powers between various organs dispute redressal mechanisms and institutions.
- Infrastructure- Energy.
- Irrigation related issues.
Polavaram multi-purpose project
What to study?
- For Prelims: Key facts about the project.
- For Mains: Issues associated and the way ahead.
Context: Andhra Pradesh government has launched works for erection of the first radial gate – the 41st one – at the Polavaram project site. The state hopes that the project works would be completed by May 2019 and water would be released to canals under gravity by December 2019.
The Polavaram project was accorded national status in 2014 in the Andhra Pradesh Bifurcation Act and its design was changed.
About the Polavaram project:
Polavaram Project is a multi-purpose irrigation project.
The dam across the Godavari River is under construction located in West Godavari District and East Godavari District in Andhra Pradesh state and its reservoir spreads in parts of Chhattisgarh and Orissa States also.
- The project is multipurpose major terminal reservoir project on river Godavari for development of Irrigation, Hydropower and drinking water facilities to East Godavari, Vishakhapatnam, West Godavari and Krishna districts of Andhra Pradesh.
- The project is likely to displace over 1.88 lakh people across 222 villages and so far, 1,730 persons in six villages have been rehabilitated by the government.
Sources: the hindu.