Topic: Part of static series under the heading – “Disaster and Disaster management”
7) Discuss the role of Information Technology in disaster prevention and management?(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the role of various facets of IT in prevention of disasters as well as in managing the aftermath of disaster. We can talk about the role of Internet, big data etc.
Discuss – Here your discussion should bring out the role IT can play in disaster management and prevention.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention that disaster management needs drastic improvements in its sources to decrease damage and save the life of people. To achieve this main object, disaster management has to face challenges for data collection, data management, translation integration and communication. IT pays crucial role in this respect.
- Define disaster management- e.g Disaster management is a systematic process with primary aim to reduce the negative consequences and effect of disasters, hence safeguarding people and social infrastructure.
- Discuss in points, how big data can play a role in disaster management. E.g Big data generated from geo-informatics and remote sensing platforms can contribute to early warning systems for disasters. Geographical Information Systems (GIS), Global Positioning Systems (GPS) and environmental monitoring sensors with cloud services have a potential to predict disasters; Geoinformatics information along with transportation network data can benefit to understand human mobility patterns during disasters; social data sets; financial data sets etc.
- Also discuss the role of internet etc in disaster handling.
- Discuss the challenges involved in the process. E.g understanding how to link different datasets with different kinds of disasters; early phase of research and application of big data; protection of personal privacy and information etc
Conclusion – based on the above discussion, form a fair and a balanced opinion on the above issue.