Topic-Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
3) By banning commercial surrogacy in favour of its altruistic avatar in India, the identification of ‘close relatives’ will take on a murky turn. Examine.(250 words)
Examine- here we have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to dig deep into the recent Surrogacy bill and bring out as to how by banning commercial surrogacy and allowing altruistic surrogacy will lead to some problems because of the concept of close relatives as introduced by the bill.
Structure of the answer
Write a few introductory lines about the surrogacy (Regulation) bill its consequences E.g The Lok Sabha has recently passed a Bill banning commercial surrogacy with penal provisions of jail term of up to 10 years and fine of up to ₹10 lakh.
Discuss about the Surrogacy (Regulation) bill and also discuss its consequences E.g
- the bill allows only close Indian relatives to be surrogate mothers and purely for “altruistic” reasons. It states an Indian infertile couple, married for five years or more, can go in for ‘altruistic surrogacy’ where the surrogate mother will not be paid any compensation except medical expenses and insurance.
- Under the bill kinship and family hide the commercial element entailed in seeking a surrogate from among close relatives;in the case of organ donation, wherein ‘strangers’ were dressed up as ‘near relatives’, in altruistic surrogacy too, similar negotiations may be entered into.
- In an overtly patriarchal society, women are always at the receiving end of ostracism and exploitation.
- Despite exempting gay couples, single men and women, and live-in couples from seeking surrogacy, not clearly defining the regulative mechanisms within altruistic surrogacy, and the very regressive approval for couples with differently-abled children to opt for surrogacy etc
Conclusion- based on your discussion form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.