Topic– Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
2) Critically analyze the reasons behind low participation of females in workforce despite increasing literacy levels in India.(250 words)
Why this question
Low literacy levels have often been the most ascribed cause for their low workforce participation. This article briefly discusses other reasons behind the issue.
Critically analyze- here we have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts, and present them as a whole in a summary. based on our discussion we have to form a concluding opinion on the issue.
Key demand of the question
The question wants us to bring out in detail as to what are the factors which are responsible for low female participation in workforce despite increasing literacy levels
Structure of the answer
Write a few introductory lines about the topic E.g present some statistics regarding the increase in literacy levels including higher and research education.
Discuss the factors responsible for low female participation in workforce despite increasing literacy levels
- Social norms ensure that higher prestige or social status is associated with families which keep their women out of the workforce.
- At the same time, the growth in formal sector jobs has not kept pace with the supply of educated women, which may have led to “crowding out of females” from the workforce.
- Women security issues etc.
- Social norms placing more responsibilities on women
Conclusion– based on your discussion form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue. E.g government policies should focus on behavioural changes that make female employment more acceptable in the society, communication programmes on gender equality in secondary education to help students imbibe equitable gender norms as well as programmes that acknowledge child care as the responsibility of both parents etc