Topic: Part of static series under the heading – “Disaster and Disaster management”
5) There are several states in India which suffer on account of floods each year. Discuss the process of flood management in India and evaluate whether we are prepared to deal with flooding? (250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss the steps taken for flood management in India and thereafter examine whether these steps are sufficient to deal with the scourge of floods annually. We also need to provide alternatives.
Evaluate – When you are asked to evaluate, you have to pass a sound judgement about the truth of the given statement in the question or the topic based on evidences. You have to appraise the worth of the statement in question. There is scope for forming a personal opinion here.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight that each year north eastern states, Bihar etc suffer from floods. With climate change, states such as Rajasthan etc have also seen instances of flooding. Urban floods have become quite common.
- Discuss the steps taken by the government for flood management. Divide the answer into stages of disaster management such as in terms of planning, response and rehabilitation.
- Construction of embankments along banks
- government’s response to floods has been focused on massive structural interventions like dams, dredging of rivers, and porcupine structures to combat erosion.
- providing central assistance to the State Governments for effective flood management in critical areas based on the recommendations of the Task Force 2004 on Flood Management/Erosion Control. Etc
- Analyze these steps for their effectiveness and suggest whether these steps are sufficient for flood management.
- Suggest steps for improvement such as by Task Force 2004 on Flood Management/ Erosion Control
- total investment for plan/flood Management may be to at least 1% of the total plan outlay.
- Strengthening of the Ganga Flood Control Commission by the addition of a Member (Works) and appropriate field formation for investigation and execution of critical flood management works. Etc
Conclusion – Give your view on the effectiveness of flood management in India and what needs to done.