Topic – Part of static series under the heading – “Disaster and Disaster management”.
4) National Disaster Management Plan (NDMP), 2016 is the first ever national plan prepared in the country for disaster management. Discuss.(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain about the NDMP, bring out its shortcomings or its strength and discuss the importance of NDMP in improving disaster management in the country.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain that NDMP 2016 is the first comprehensive disaster management plan prepared by India in consonance with Sendai framework.
- Highlight the structure of disaster management planning in the country such as
- National Disaster Management Act, 2005 – Provided the legal basis for disaster management.
- National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) – Coordinates activities of disaster management.
- National Policy on Disaster Management (NPDM), 2009 – Institutional mechanisms.
- National Disaster Management Plan (NDMP), 2016 – Aligned with Sendai Framework
- Discuss the aim of the plan – make India disaster resilient and significantly reduce the loss of lives and assets.
- Discuss details of the plan
- How it incorporates the principles of Sendai framework
- NDMP spells out roles and responsibilities of all levels of Government right up to Panchayat and Urban Local Body level in a matrix format
- provides for horizontal and vertical integration among all the agencies and departments of the Government. Etc
- Discuss any shortcomings with the plan and suggest improvement
Conclusion – Give your view on NDMP and discuss the importance of it.