Topic – Indian economy and issues related to employment
5) As one of the youngest countries in the world, going forward employment is going to be a major problem for the state. Analyze the issue and suggest how can we create employment opportunities for so many additions to the Labour Force?(250 words)
Why this question
The article discusses the challenges related to employment that India is likely to face on account of its demography in the years to come and how India can successfully deal with this challenge. Hence this question would help us in preparing issues related to employment.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss how changing demography provides both opportunity and challenges with respect to employment and labour force participation. We need to bring out the issue and thereafter discuss how the challenges with respect to employment can be managed.
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – highlight that India is a young country and unfortunately for India job creation is not keeping pace with new addition to the Labour Force.
- Discuss the issues arising out of the young demography of the country –
- Social tensions are rising as “two Indias” emerge from a demographic perspective. The north and east have high fertility rates, low labour force participation and high marginal employment. In contrast, the west and south have low fertility rates and, in some instances, is showing shortage of manpower. This is resulting in interstate migration, creating social tensions.
- The north and east are likely to experience increasing social strife when a digitally alive population fails to fulfil their aspiration.
- Creating large-scale local employment will be essential for inclusive growth, and is a key agenda for the country over the coming decade.
- Discuss the issues with our current strategy of generating employment and how the situation can be improved.
- Challenges to job creation are automation, labour laws serving as an entry barrier, challenges faced by MSME sector etc
- Employment generation requires district-level effort for job creation that link local entrepreneurs to markets, with solutions that use local resources.
- Discuss the alternative in detail
Conclusion – Emphasize on the importance of the task at hand and discuss way forward.