Topic– Role of civil services in a democracy
3) Critically analyze the role played by bureaucracy in facilitating ease of doing business in India?(250 words)
Why this question
The article analyses the role played by civil servants in facilitating ease of doing business, one of the major policy aims of the current government. This question would help you in preparing for aforementioned topic in GS2.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the positive and not so positive role played by civil servants in facilitating reforms led to ease of doing business. Finally, we need to provide a fair and balanced opinion on the role played by civil servants and discuss the way forward.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, all you need to do is look at the good and bad of something and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight the improvement made in EODB rankings, and explain that apart from political commitment at the top, the role of bureaucracy has also been critical.
- Discuss the positive role played by bureaucracy in facilitating EODB
- Secretary, Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), who started a system of ranking states, leading to intense competition amongst them.
- Further, DIPP did a detailed analysis and gave a list of as many as 340 parameters of reform.
- At the state level, they worked as a team to issue government orders, take policy decisions and monitor implementation etc
- Discuss the limitations in the role played by civil servants
- Despite having a common application form and online clearances in a time-bound manner, there remained a tendency to raise unnecessary issues and force the entrepreneur to visit the concerned government office.
- Rent seeking behaviour etc also created issues
- Discuss how the reforms can be made to percolate down to the smaller cities and towns across India.
Conclusion – Give your view on the role played by civil servants and discuss way forward.