Topic: conservation, environmental pollution and degradation
5) The recent guidelines with respect to charging stations for electric vehicles will finally boost electric vehicles in the country. Critically examine. (250 words)
Why this question
The article talks about the recent guidelines of power ministry for setting up charging infrastructure and the impact it is likely to have on boosting electric vehicles in the country.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss about the recent guidelines brought by power ministry and the reason why the changed guidelines is likely to boost the usage of electric vehicles in the country. We also need to discuss the impact of boosting the use of electric vehicles in the country.
Critically examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any . When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, all you need to do is look at the good and bad of something and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain about the mission of the government with regards to boosting usage of electric vehicles.
- Explain the recent changes brought by power ministry – decision to allow private charging stations to be set up at residences and offices, an individual setting up a station will not require a licence and power distribution company, most of the charging stations in the first stage will be established in mega cities such as Delhi and Mumbai etc
- Discuss the positive impact of these steps
- Tackle pollution in mega cities
- A major reason why electric vehicle is not picking up in India is because of the lack of charging infrastructure. These steps might change that situation etc
- Discuss the limitation of these steps in bringing the desired change
- Basic things, such as the incentives on offer for an individual or a corporate entity for setting up charging stations, were not mentioned. Also, there is lack of clarity on issues such as who will provide the land for the charging stations, and whether it would be given by the government at a discounted rate. Etc
Conclusion – Give a fair and balanced conclusion and discuss the way forward.