Topic-Part of static series under the heading – “Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation”
5) A strong political will is required to come out with strict regulations to manage e waste in India. Increased public awareness is the need of hour. Examine the issues surrounding e-waste management and suggest the steps that need to be taken?(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to highlight the problem of e-waste management, examine the reasons why they exist, discuss the impact of e-waste and give suggestions for improvement.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Give a brief overview of the status of e-waste management in India. In India, e waste accounts for 4% of global e-waste and 2.5% of global GDP – so it has a higher share of e-waste than its share of gross domestic product (GDP).
- Discuss the issues surrounding e-waste management –
- The producers/manufacturers do not have adequate information on their website regarding e waste management.
- Customer care representatives do not have inkling about any take back or recycling programme and even if they have set up collection centres, they are simply not enough for a geographically vast country like India.
- India being a vast country, setting up collection mechanism is a big challenge. If any of the brands try individually to reach out to all corners of the country, it will economically not be sustainable or feasible.
- Improper enforcement of the existing laws is another hurdle.
- Discuss the impact that improper management of e-waste had on health, environment etc
- Give suggestions as to what needs to be fine – Along with digitalisation plans, our nation needs a matching ewaste plan to contain the e-mess, an advance type of planning rather than a post-facto approach. The first big step is to recognise that the ewaste monster is being created right now.Besides, manufacturing processes in India have to adopt better technology so as to generate less waste. Discuss the Norway model of dealing with e-waste
Conclusion – Give your view and discuss the way forward.