Topic– Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these.
1) Discuss the important issues concerning elections in India, which have been highlighted in recent years.(250 words)
Why this question
Elections is an essential democratic exercise which expresses the will of the people as well as the authority decided to be the driver of the society for a specified period of time. It is therefore essential to know about the major issues surrounding the largest democratic exercise in the world.
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to discuss in detail about the various issues concerning the elections in India. We have to discuss the most important issues that have been in news in the recent years.
Structure of the answer
Introduction- Write a few introductory lines about India being the world’s largest democracy and Indian elections being a magnanimous democratic exercise but still there are several critical issues concerning elections in India.
Discuss in paragraphs,various issues plaguing the electoral process in India. E.g
- Criminalization of politics and the recent SC decision on the matter of barring politicians with serious criminal charges from contesting elections etc.
- Hate speech by politicians
- EVM tampering issue and the case for VVPATs
- Issue of electoral bonds introduced in the recent past
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.