- Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways, etc.
- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
PM inaugurated 175 Km of sewerage network in Prayagraj
National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) made its effort to reduce pollution in river Ganga when PM inaugurated projects in Prayagraj including 175 KM of sewerage network.
The project will now carry 7.8 Cr litres sewage water per day to existing STPs (Sewage Treatment Plants) at Salori, Kodra & Ponghat for treatment earlier ended up in Ganga.
National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG):
It was registered as a society on 12th August 2011 under the Societies Registration Act 1860.
It acted as implementation arm of National Ganga River Basin Authority (NGRBA), constituted under the provisions of the Environment (Protection) Act (EPA), 1986.
The Act envisages five-tier structure at national, state and district level to take measures for prevention, control and abatement of environmental pollution in river Ganga and to ensure continuous adequate flow of water so as to rejuvenate the river Ganga as below:
- National Ganga Council under the chairmanship of Hon’ble Prime Minister of India.
- Empowered Task Force (ETF) on river Ganga under chairmanship of Hon’ble Union Minister of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG).
- State Ganga Committees, and
- District Ganga Committees in every specified district abutting river Ganga and its tributaries in the states.
Mains Question: To hear the call of the Ganga, both political will and ethical responsibility are required. Analyse in the context of recent developments with respect to Ganga River.